Antics and escapades of Locke and Lola, twins in action.

10 March 2006

Twinspeak?

I've always heard about twins developing their own language, an exclusive way of communicating between each other. I thought it was more common with identical twins, but every day Locke and Lola communicate more and more. It began with Locke crawling up to Lola (who wasn't mobile at the time) and taking her toy. Then it evolved into voluntarily playing near each other, becoming aware that the other baby is a separate person who makes its own decisions, and is usually holding a more desirable toys at any given time. But now, they babble, laugh and play together quite often. They genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company.

Locke's goal in life these days (besides testing every boundary he encounters) is to make Lola giggle. He chases her around the living room laughing, sticking out his tongue, and doing the "Lockey dance" (which involves bouncing up and down while kneeling and playing the air drums). It seems to work most of the time. She'll take time away from practicing standing to crawl around giggling with Locke fast on her heels.

Recently I was sitting nearby opening mail when, out of the corner of my eye, I caught Locke crawl over to Lola and he appeared to whisper something in her ear. Then, they both crawled over to my little stack of mail and began playing with the catalogs. I'm not sure if he really communicated a plan to her -- or if the whole sequence of events was purely coincidental (probably). But they seemed to be in sync on their little attack. It makes me wonder what the future will bring. Maybe they won't fully develop a language they exclusively share but, as long as they keep communicating, there should be very few dull moments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

This might sound crazy, but I really think there is some telepathy between my twins too.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:18:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. My girl cubs are one-year-old and I know they communicate with each other in a way I don't fully understand. Isn't it wild to watch such young babies interacting so completely? They chase each other, sumo wrestle, push each other on their car, help each other try to crawl out of a play yard etc. I love it.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 3:30:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home