Antics and escapades of Locke and Lola, twins in action.

28 February 2006

Fond Farewell

It's always sad to say goodbye to something you've grown attached to. Even when you understand intellectually that it represents not just a parting, but growth. It means you've made a stride toward something new -- a new phase, a new journey, a new life.

After a very slow process of decreasing -- and finally eliminating -- breastfeedings, Lola and Locke are completely weaned. It was much harder on me than it was on them. I already miss those times of closeness and warmth. It was a union I'm very happy to have experienced with my babies. And I'm very proud to have been able to breastfeed twins for so long. It was not an easy thing to do -- especially those first few months. I remember how easy it became when I was able to feed them both simultaneously. But then, after they'd grown out of that phase, it was a challenge keeping one occupied while feeding the other. But all the work and the challenges were all so worth the joy and the benefits it brought all of us.

So after finally letting go of that phase of our growth, I'm having to say goodbye once again. I thought it would take a while for my boobs to go back to their modest pre-delivery size -- months, hopefully even years. But Mother Nature's quick on her feet and she doesn't give any free rides. Once I weaned the twins, it wasn't two weeks before they were almost back to normal. Not that I ever wanted big boobs before, or in any way feel they added to me as a person. But it sure was fun having them around. Goodbye, dear friends. It wasn't long but it sure was suh-weet!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I miss nursing too.

...and my big boobs.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:25:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should be a Gold Medal for moms who breast feed their twin babies! That is an Olympic feat! Listen Brenda....doesn't that sound like the National Anthem playing?

Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:13:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee Miller said...

Holy smokes- you are MY IDOL. I couldn't breastfeed, and honestly it still kills me. You are so awesome and your babies are so lucky!!!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:08:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife is starting the weaning process now with the goal of being done by 1 year (we're at 10 months now). She never made enough for them to get all of their needs from the breast so we would supplement their last feeding with a bottle. I loved that time as it was one of the few times I could hold them and feed them and be close to them. The new schedule means that Andrea forgoes her late afternoon feeding and now they get all they need in the evening. I didn't realize I was going to miss my bottle feedings! This is rough on me too!

Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:48:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read Sarah's comment. Boy, apparently there a lot of things I hadn't thought I'd miss from this weaning thing.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:49:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home