Antics and escapades of Locke and Lola, twins in action.

01 February 2006

Changing the game

Just when you think you have something figured out, they go and change it on you. Naps, for instance. The afternoon nap was always iffy. The time, duration, and actual existence of the nap were always in question. But my one sure thing was the morning nap. For at least an hour and a half -- usually two -- I knew I had time to get some things done (like shower, pay bills, etc.).

Now, all of the sudden, all bets are off. Lola is no longer ready for her nap at 9. So she plays, practices standing and walking, talks, sits, and fusses. But she won't lie down and sleep. And she's been falling asleep sitting (and in one case, standing) up. I have to go in a lay her down. Lately, by the time she gets to sleep, Locke is ready to get up. Can't they stay in one phase (especially a nicely synchronized one) for more than a month or two?

Of course I keep changing the rules on them, too. Adding solid food, slowly eliminating breastfeedings, blockading more and more places as they get more and more mobile (and curious).

So, this is retribution? More like growing, I guess.

And it would appear that I dread the time that they get up from napping. The truth is, I might dread it a little -- until it happens. Then, when I hear their first little squeaks, I can't wait to run in and pick them up from their cribs, snuggling and kissing them until they giggle. I'm so happy to see them, I forget ever wanting them to sleep.

I guess I should savor the few increasingly rare simultaneous napping minutes while we still have a morning and afternoon nap. Pretty soon they'll be napping once a day. And, when that happens, I'll bet just when I get used to it, they'll start school and it will all change again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home