Antics and escapades of Locke and Lola, twins in action.

17 May 2006

What Vacation?




















Before I forget that it ever happened (thanks to Conrad and Nolan's mom for the reminder), Kelly and I had our first vacation since the babies were born -- without the babies! We spent four beautiful days doing nothing but lounging around on Waikiki Beach, soaking up the sun, people-watching, reading (yes, real books, even!), and relaxing. It was perfect.

It was difficult to leave Locke and Lola, though. The longest I'd been away from them before was about five hours on New Year's Eve when they were safely asleep under my parents' watchful eyes, never realizing we'd even left. This time would be a little different.

Lola and Locke stayed with my parents and Mimi, who drove 200 miles to help out. Kelly was already in Hawaii on business and I was scheduled to meet him on Easter Sunday. As I made my way out the door of my parents' house, bag in hand, Lola began to cry, holding her arms out to me in the most dramatic way, making me feel like one minute apart from her would be anything but relaxing. But Mimi called my cell phone as my dad was driving me to the airport and told me Lola was laughing and playing with Locke and had, for all appearances, forgotten I existed. I felt much better. Sort of.

The trip was great. Every morning we'd stake out our spot on the beach and, for most of every day, we'd relax under the umbrella, watching people, reading and talking. We strolled around the shops, loading up on kitchy souvenirs (who knew that kuikui nut necklaces, which sell for $6 would be so stylish right now?). And we ate some tasty sushi. It was so nice to be alone to do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted.

We called every day and talked with Locke and Lola. The conversations were often one-sided, but we didn't mind. Locke screached a time or two into the phone at me. That's true love. But four days is the perfect amount of time for your first time away from a new baby or two. By our last day, we couldn't wait to get back to see them.

Our excitement built as my dad drove us from the airport to their house. We were finally going to get to see them. They'd probably scream with delight, walking as fast as they could to greet us. Maybe Locke would do his speed crawl -- he'd be too excited to walk.

We opened the door and Locke was first to walk over. His face beamed with joy. And Lola made her way over and greeted us "ada da da da". We took turns holding and hugging them, smothering them with kisses. And then they went back to playing with Grandmommy and Mimi. Hmmm. No extended emotional greeting. No hanging all over me, afraid to let me out of their sight again. Didn't they realize I'd been away for four days, wondering every minute what they were doing and missing them terribly? It was like I'd run to the store -- not been an ocean away. That can only mean that Grandmommy, Granddaddy and Mimi took such great care of them that they never lacked for anything -- except us. And they trusted us enough to know we'd be back before they realized we were gone.

Now I look forward to our next vacation without Locke and Lola. But, more than that, I look forward to travelling with them -- showing them places we've been, and exploring new places together.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they must have thought you were taking an especially long time at Whole Foods!

Since Lola & Locke had each other for company, they probably weren't as affected by your absence as a single baby would be when parents are away. Must be one of the many advantages of being a TWIN! Glad you all had fun....I had a ball!
Mimi

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

We've been away twice for 3 day weekends and I missed them so much, but they were 5 and 6 months during those two trips and probably really didn't realize we were gone. I just returned from a 3 day weekend with girlfriends, and on the way from the airport, my stomach kept getting more and more nervous at seeing them and the expected dramatic greeting. When my husband handed Baylee to me, she looked confused, like "who is this?" I was so disappointed.

I'm glad you got to get away. I think it is so important to reconnect as a couple every so often. I would love to go to Waikiki.

And what Mimi said--about them having each other--well, that's so comforting to think of it that way.

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:02:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home